Of course if you are on the go this can be chucked into a flask and taken with you but as someone who really rates a smoothie for breakkie every day there’s something nice about having it from a bowl instead.
Ingredients – Makes 2
For The Smoothie Bit
Double all the below if you’re wanting to batch this, the smoothie mix will keep in the fridge for a few days and the toasted oat mix will need to be in an airtight container or can be done fresh on the day if you’re at home.
- 2 cups of frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup frozen avocado OR 1 small avocado peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 ripe bananas
- 4 tbsp yoghurt (greek or vegan works)
- approx 50ml or a couple tbsp almond milk (or any other milk)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
For The Toppings
- 3 tbsp oats
- 3 tbsp mixed seeds (I used a premixed from Tesco with sesame, pumpkin & flax)
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp almond butter, I use my usual fave of Pip & Nut Almond & Coconut butter
Add all the smoothie ingredients to a blender and blitz until smooth. Personally, despite having a high quality blender I find it best to defrost the frozen items in the fridge overnight to avoid the mix being too frozen to enjoy straight way although this is more of an issue with drinkable smoothies than smoothie bowls!
Add the oats and mixed seeds to a hot frying pan and toast, mixing or tossing regularly so they don’t catch, for a few minutes until they start to pop. Sprinkle the pinch of cinnamon and set aside to cool slightly.
Divide the smoothie mix between two bowls, top with the coconut, cacao and almond butter finishing with the toasted seeds and if you have more of a sweet tooth then you can add a drizzle of honey/agave/maple to top it all off!
*If you’re making ahead be sure to keep the smoothie and toppings separate so they don’t lose their crunch.